Here are this week’s 10 most interesting stats from the digital marketing space, including a few early holiday season returns and some intriguing numbers around Facebook ads. Check them out below.
1. File this under “not shocking but still compelling:” The Exchange Lab, a programmatic digital media company with cross-client agreggated data, said that e-commerce conversion rates on Black Friday were up 60 percent compared to the previous Friday (Nov. 21). And the company noted that online advertisers on Cyber Monday got a 20 percent lift in conversions when contrasted against the previous Monday (Nov. 24).
2. Tech vendor MarketLive’s analytics showed that retail sales from smartphones and tablets increased an average of 141 percent during the weekend following Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday.
3. The peak hour for Cyber Monday email was 7 a.m. ET, when 10 percent of messages flooded inboxes, according to MarketLive.
4. Heineken thinks Facebook’s nascent auto-play video ads can take a chunk out of YouTube’s business. Here’s why: While pushing Heineken Light to 21 to 34 year olds in the United States in October, the brand’s digital spots—in three days—were exposed to the newfeeds of 35 million Facebook users, producing 5.5 million views, according to brewer. That means 16 percent of the people reached watched the spot.
5. Another interesting case study this week featured Five Star, the school supplies seller. The company employed video ads via various Facebook and mobile apps, along with “brand ambassador” posts from Keegan Allen of ABC Family’s Pretty Little Liars on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. According to one of its digital publishers, ROI Influencer Media, the effort allowed Five Star to reach 54 percent of people between 13 and 21 years old who used a mobile phone or computer during Back to School season in late summer.
6. Turkish Airlines’ spot with global fútbol stars Lionel Messi and Didier Drogba has garnered a ridiculous number of YouTube views. It has been watched 60 million times since being uploaded on Nov. 14.
7. Victoria’s Secret picked up 138,000 Instagram likes and comments during the week of Nov. 24 by putting 20 supermodels on a plane to London and posting a 15-second video of them. That’s far above average for the lingerie brand on the social media platform. Read more about how social and aircraft cabins just seem to work well together here.
8. During the third quarter this year, Nielsen said that Americans increased their digital video viewing by four hours a month compared to 2013.
9. The same Nielsen report said the average daily time spent watching live TV decreased 12 minutes in Q3 compared to the same period last year. Conversely, the time that consumers spent daily viewing a smartphone increased 23 minutes, from 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 33 minutes.
10. 223,000. That’s the impressive number of Instagram followers married creatives Carli and John Kiene have attracted. While they are seemingly virtuosos, a lot of their work is in the food category.