ROLE: Research Manager
ROLE STATUS: 6-month contract
DEPARTMENT: Business Intelligence
REPORTING TO: Director of Analytics
LOCATION: London, England
The Exchange Lab (theexchangelab.com) is a programmatic specialist agency, forming part of GroupM. The Exchange Lab exists to remove the complexity from programmatic media buying and offers an end to end service from the strategic planning of a client campaign through trading & optimisation to reporting and analytics to create a virtuous circle of strategy, performance, insights and results. The company’s Meta-DSP Proteus, unifies all of the top demand side platforms (DSPs), marketing technologies and exchanges into a single touch-point that drives the highest level of efficiency for advertisers.
Proteus is integrated into the largest and most respected DSPs including; Amazon, DBM, MediaMath, AppNexus, and The Trade Desk. This unique technology creates a holistic view of the media ecosystem providing advertisers with greater audience reach, scale, campaign insights and cost saving efficiencies.
Founded in 2007, The Exchange Lab serves more than 700 clients across 50 markets worldwide with offices in London, New York, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Singapore.
Research Manager, London
We are now seeking an exceptional Research Manager to play a pivotal role in helping to shape the sector specific sales strategy for Direct Client Sales Globally. This integral role will build on our market-leading position as a programmatic specialist agency with Fortune 500 brands and drive revenue growth. This role requires a talented researcher who possesses through the line experience of extrapolating insights and creating sales collateral and storytelling through data. You also need strong project management and communications skills. This role will work closely and collaboratively with the Client Direct Sales team, Marketing and Business Intelligence function.
The ideal candidate will be able draw on their broad range of experience and apply varied approaches to their research strategy to effectively deliver tangible results.
This role reports into the Director of Analytics (based in London).
The right individual for this role will either come from within the digital industry or have a strong media owner or agency background. The Exchange Lab is looking for someone who understands their customers (CMOs, brand marketers, programmatic & digital marketers) and someone who can clearly build a story through data as to why they should work with The Exchange Lab.
They will have existing relationships within the research space ideally offline as well as online.
It is important that this individual is organized, maintains excellent communication skills and can speak clearly to the digital media marketplace. We are looking for a person who can work on their own initiative, who looks for causality in data and is keen to drive market leading thinking and build market first research in programmatic where possible with a view to crafting the content for white papers, one pagers, research reports and vertical insights within a Exchange Lab perspective.
Success in this role requires an in-depth knowledge of research strategies and methodologies coupled with a strong commercial understanding of how research findings can be packaged, applied and leveraged to drive sales. Strong interpersonal and influencing skills; as well as an ability to devise new ways of better exploiting data, identifying insights and presenting data in a stimulating and actionable way
- Work with the New Business and Marketing teams to develop sector specific sales positioning across individual sectors within 6 months; sector tone of voice to focus on customer journey, purchase cycles, online (linked to offline) buyer behavior and industry benchmarks for engagement
- Generate demand by project managing and delivering consumer insights that educate customers about digital marketing and drive opportunities for deeper sales engagement by sector
- Lead the development of pro-active research pieces that increase knowledge of the ‘voice of the consumer’
- Support revenue wins by designing and executing value added research programs to assist the sales process, measure the ROI and help customers optimize their advertising
- Grow customer satisfaction by delivering insights that help customers understand how to advertise effectively in the digital space
- Act as an advisor to internal stakeholders keeping them informed of developments in digital media measurement and consult on its implications
- Work with peers in regional insight & marketing functions to amplify and distribute insight pieces to key customers across geographies (e.g. via websites, customer meetings, road shows, brochures, conferences etc.)
Required Skills / Experience:
- BA degree & 5 years minimum of relevant experience in the field of media Research and Insights
- Proven track record in use of all key research tools including Pathmatics, Forrester ComScore, GWI
- Ability to create research campaigns, derive insight and build a story from insight designed to drive revenue
- Experience in sales support and marketing initiatives and experience managing clients and key stakeholders
- Highly organized, with ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision
- Bright, charismatic, inspirational with the ability to win credibility internally and externally
- Deep understanding of the online and offline advertising research arena
- Knowledge of the programmatic space an advantage
- Outstanding communication skills and an ability to translate stories into simple and compelling messages which resonate with a Marketing professional
- You have a sales side to your personality and feel comfortable being able to represent The Exchange Lab at events
- An in-depth knowledge of online measurement and research practices
- Skilled at transforming market research data into resonant sales stories/business implications.
- Able to identify gaps in available market data and determining how best to fill these using appropriate data and tools.
- Know how to critically evaluate research products so that we have the most credible and relevant sources to help guide business decisions
- Highly numerate